Friday, September 14, 2012

Head, Meet Wall

Well, it would appear that my Evenstar shawl is insisting on hating me.  Or at least bent on making my life difficult.  Recently, I had to frog around 30 rows.  Why oh why didn't I put in a lifeline sooner? We're talking 400+ stitch rows here, too.  That was no small amount of yarn.  So, in the passage of time, I managed to knit two rows.  I have other projects on the needles after all.  They also need my attention.  So, okay.  two rows done.   Yay!  Today is "Evenstar Day." (I'll explain in a minute.) I pull out my pattern, get out my project and start knitting.  No big deal. Until I reach the third repeat and mess up counting and screw up a twisted stitch or two for good measure....  Next thing I knew, I'd dropped 2 stitches and things were falling apart faster than you could say... well, pick a bad word for the situation. 

Frog.  That's such a bad word in any needlework craft. However, while you're working on fixing your mistake, you can come up with various ideas on how to keep it from happening again in the future. Right now, all I can think of is running another lifeline every time I finish a row. That will take a tremendous amount of time, but in the end, it might be worth it.  I don't know how many more times I can frog this yarn. So, it would be better to take a little more time and protect it now, than to have it shred itself apart later.

Now, on to why this is Evenstar Day.  I have lots of projects in progress. You can call that a PIG, but we tend to call them WIPs. That stands for Work(s) in Progress. In the attempt to keep my various knitting projects from giving me guilt trips, I have assigned each 'major' one to a day of the week. On that day, I will pick it up and work on it. I do, however, reserve the right to override that day's project at anytime. Take yesterday for example. I have a cold and periodically run a slight fever. Yesterday I was supposed to work on a baby blanket. Well, I'm to the point where I'm assembling the blocks together. When you have a fever, the last thing you want is a baby blanket in your lap. So, I worked on a lace shawl instead.  I feel little guilt over it because it was a mystery shawl and I finished up the clue before the next one was released. Major win!

Anyway, I guess I should get back to picking up these stitches. Unfortunately, they do not place themselves back on the needle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment